Wednesday 20 February 2013

My First Unschooling Day

Today I started unschooling. It went better than I thought possible. I wal into the family room and said to the kids,

"Why don't we not do any of that normal stuff today and go and bake some muffins." Everyone looked up. They could not believe what I had just said, not do maths, english or anything like that? Had I gone crazy?

No I had not gone crazy. I was serious and soon everyone was in the kitchen cooking.  I left them to it and went off to my bed room with the phone in hand. I was owing someone a phone call.

If I had been doing all the normal things I would have had to wait till late in  the afternoon to ring up my friend. I knew that I could depend on John to keep everything under control.

I did not notice the time go by as I talked on the phone. I only relised how long I had been talking when Kate came in with a muffin on a plate and some coffee. I decided that if this was what unschooling was like, I liked it.

I finished off my phone called and went over to everyone in the family room. They were all talking and joking, they were all having fun. I think I will keep on unschooling. What else shall we do as we unschool? What other adventures lie in our path of unschooling? We will have to find out.

Thank you Sue for inspiring me to be an unschooling mother

4 comments:

  1. Ruth,

    I'm glad you had such a great day. My kids love to cook. I love to eat what they bake!

    Do your kids like to listen as you read? Sharing books cam be a wonderful way to learn. My girls always have a stack of books they want me to read out loud. Of course they could read them on their own but it's so much more enjoyable sharing books. We always have such great conversations about the books we are reading together.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,

      What a great idea! I never thought about reading outloud to them. I will have to try it. Unschooling is getting more and more fun with everything I learn about.

      Thank you so much for commenting, I would have commented back quicker, but we only have one comptur between me and the kids and so it gets hard.

      God Bless you,
      Ruth

      Delete
  2. Ruth, I was so glad to see Sue's comment about reading. When I began unschooling, I made a huge mistake in that I gave up reading aloud. I had a young child so that was part of the reason but it meant that I lost involvement with the children's learning and we gradually felt that we weren't achieving anything.

    These days, we're not exactly unschooling in that I do plan but my attitude towards flexibility and allowing the children freedom to explore is very unschool. Like Sue, our learning revolves around read alouds.

    Our children love to cook, too! Most days, one of them bakes a morning or afternoon tea - it's one of the highlights of our day.

    It's so great that you had a relaxing and enjoyable day, Ruth!
    God bless:-)
    PS. I have been amazed at how much maths our children learn through cooking and playing. When we picked up the maths books, after a 2-year break, they were still well on track because of their unschooling activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky,

      I never read outloud to my children for work, but now that it is mentioned I think it would be a wonderful idea.

      My children love cooking, they bake morning teas and puddings. I really am suprised at how much they want to do now that they are doing it for fun!

      God Bless you and your family,
      Ruth

      Delete